9.02.2010

Submit to the Chicken

"My, what big teeth you have Grandma!" I thought as I was giving Emma a look-over a few days ago. Not only are her teeth bigger than our other two Great Pyrenees, but her paws are larger as well. Online research has found that between her Anatolian genes and the Great Pyr genes, she could get up to 130 pounds. Holeeeee smokes! That makes now the time, while she's still under-weight, to get any lessons on submission done.

Emma, as she's coming out of her shell, is showing herself to be very playful, energetic, and curious in the mornings. Not that this is bad, it's just a bad combination while she's tailing me on the morning chores. I'd open the coop doors, and Emma would want to sniff, pounce and chase those fluffy, squawky things around. Uh-oh, not good at all. Firm orders of "no!" were unheeded, and distractions didn't last for long, so it was time to make her Submit to the Chickens.

I picked up one of the more docile hens - a fluffy Brahma. Then I grabbed Emma. Underweight though she may be, it took all of my weight shoved against her to bring her down, and even with my 155 pounds it took a good thirty seconds of wrestling to get her onto her side: one arm around Emma, trying to get leverage, and one arm holding the (now very annoyed) chicken.

Emma still has her spirit, I'm happy to say. She did not submit quickly, but she did "get it" once she was down. She relaxed, I kept the chicken in her face, and she looked away. I may have to do this a few more times to get the lesson sunk in thoroughly, but I think she's teachable.

Dog wrasslin'. I reeeeeaaaaly hope the security cameras on the property have recorded over that morning's takedown already.

4 comments:

  1. You just love being cruel to your creatures - face it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were recently debating "get a dog/don't get a dog," and whether they can be chicken-proofed was a major concern. So, there's hope? If we get a pup, will you come over and demonstrate? Please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @WeldrBrat: Yep! (mock flexing of bicep) - *lol*

    @Natalie: if you get a puppy, make sure it isn't a hunter type. No labs, hounds, terriers, etc. - they just can't help their breeding, and will snag a hen whenever they can. Safer yet would be to get a livestock guardian pup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our chow/coonhound mix killed 14 chickens in one afternoon before I got home to discover her "lapse in judgement." I agree with any hunting type breeds being not a good choice for us chicken farmers. Herders are a much better alternative.

    ReplyDelete

Of Mice and Various Snakes and new Duck Feed Station

As mentioned in the previous post, our region is experiencing a near-Biblical plague of mice. "It's due to all the moisture we had...